Monday, June 2, 2008

Quotes that amuse me today

I used to think she was quite intelligent, in my stupidity. The reason I did was because she knew quite a lot about the theater and plays and literature and all that stuff. If somebody knows quite a lot about those things, it takes you quite a while to find out whether they're really stupid or not. It took me years to find out. . . .

J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Now I am not joining in the hue and cry again the dramatist's picturization or against the arts of our time. This theme [evil] often makes very good theater, but what makes good theater does not necessarily make for a good life. I think Macbeth is great, but I am not eager to be the Macbeths' house guest.

Charles S. Milligan, 1963


It seems to me that the thing that makes the theater worthwhile is the fact that it attracts so many people with ideas who are constantly trying to share them with the public. Real art is illumination. It gives a man an idea he never had before or lights up ideas that were formless or only lurking in the shadows of his mind. It adds stature to life.

Brooks Atkinson (1894-1984)


If you really want to help the American theater, don't be an actress, dahling. Be an audience.

Tallulah Bankhead (1903-1968)

A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relations.
Gore Vidal, New York Times, 1956

No comments: