Monday, April 2, 2007

Week of great events

I really adore the diversity of cultural experiences available in Lansing. It's not simply cliche to say there is something available for everyone.

This past week really brought home for me how very much there is available to experience. In a nine-day span, I saw:
  • She Stoops to Conquer, an 18th century farce at Riverwalk
  • Hedwig and the Angry Inch, a rock musical at Peppermint Creek
  • Where The Wild Things Are ballet by the Grand Rapids Children's Ballet Company
  • Florencia del Amazonas, a new Spanish-language opera based on the works of Gabriel Marquez performed at Michigan State University
  • The Crucible, the modern Arthur Miller classic performed by Lansing Community College students
Each of them were experiences entirely different from each of the others. Some I was able to share with my son; others would have been wildly inappropriate. All of them, though, made me glad that I live in Lansing where there are such options easily available at great convenience.

No comments: