(And I was about to use a bulleted list, but that screws with some people's readers, so I'll number the list and beg your pardon for the lack of pretty formatting.)
1. Kristine Thatcher's contract as Artistic Director was not renewed at BoarsHead.
2. Shakespeare on the Grand replaced Sunsets with Shakespeare as the summer outdoor Shakespeare company. Led by Lindsay Palinsky, Rita Deibler, and Tod Humphrey, they are associated with the Lansing Civic Players.
3. Len Kluge died.
4. Bob Gras died.
5. Lansing Civic Players announced that it was canceling its mainstage season and launching an Underground LCP Black Box season while they regroup and raise money.
6. The Renegade Festival in Old Town continued to grow by leaps and bounds and was an exciting event this summer.
7. Merrill Wyble died.
8. Paul Riopelle was hired as BoarsHead's interim artistic associate.
9. All-of-Us Express Children's Theater merged with the City of East Lansing and is moving into the Hannah Center.
10. John Neville-Andrews resigned as the Artistic Director of the Michigan Shakespeare Festival.
11. Kristine Thatcher announced the formation of a new professional theater company.
Things are changing fast around here. It's exciting times for the theater community.
I'm hoping in the next week or so to blog about a wonderful conversation I had with Jeffrey Sweet about theater and theater journalism. I also want to get a book he recommended and possibly share things from there.
In the mean time, if you're looking for theater this weekend, here are some of your options:
- An Evening with Mark Twain at the Ledges Playhouse, Capital TheaterWorks
- Things You Shouldn't Say Past Midnight, Creole Gallery, Peppermint Creek Theatre Company
- Beau Jest, BoarsHead
- Rocky Horror Picture Show, Pasant Theater, Michigan State University
- 70 Scenes from Halloween, 168 Black Box Theater, Gannon Building, Lansing Community College
- LCP Underground Grand Opening, LCP Firehouse (Reservations required--Saturday only)