Monday, July 23, 2007

Maternal pride & Macbeth

I've started several blog entries in my head and I've simply resigned myself to the idea that I'll need to do several posts or none at all. There is so much that I want to talk about that I keep waiting to write until I have time to address all points--and that simply isn't going to happen.

I've now seen the Macbeth performances three times and plan to see it each time it goes up (which will be three more times this weekend and twice the following weekend). Every time I watch it, I notice something different.

First and foremost, of course, I'm a mom and wife and when my guys are on stage, I have a hard time tearing my eyes away from them to watch the other action. It isn't that they're stealing focus, it's that love draws the eye.

I'm very pleased that the Shake Fest has been a good experience for my son. I won't begin to make a statement about whether or not he's a good actor--I have absolutely no objectivity on that question nor do I wish to be objective about it. However, I will comment on it having been a good experience for him. There are so many outstanding actors in this show and he's been able to work with many of them. He's learned far more about stagecraft this summer than his father and I have taught him in four years of drama classes.

More importantly, he's gained confidence. He's discovered that he is talented and likeable--something his parents have tried telling him, but that he needed to find out for himself. It's part of the glory of theater--in particular for young people. When you're out there, you've got to come through. No one else can do it for you and no one else can suffer the consequences if you don't perform. It is also a cooperative environment in which everyone wants to see everyone else do well because then it is a better show. It creates a nurturing, extremely powerful environment.

No comments: